This is the conclusion of a 4-part series about what I’d do in 2019 to grow my MLM business – aka home-based business or network marketing business.
Let me state a couple things:
- When I say “grow,” I don’t mean to add a couple hundred bucks a month to my commission check by the end of the year. You can do that, but that’s not what this is about. This is about going full time, taking it to 5-figures a month and beyond.
- While I say this is for 2019, I wrote a very similar series back in 2012. What worked then is still working now. In other words, this isn’t a gimmick. You can plan on doing this same thing in 2020 and beyond.
Trim The Fat
This is a term in business to get rid of the bloat and go lean – “Trim the fat.”
Of course when I think about it, I think of carving off the excess fat on piece of steak or brisket. But it is pretty much the same thing in business… carve off the fat to make things more lean.
Think about it this way…
Imagine two runners getting ready to run a half-marathon. Both are the same height. One is 245 with a pretty good size gut. The other guy is 175 and pretty lean. If that is all you knew, who do you think would win the race?
While winning is important, it’s also about how they got to the finish line and how they feel after the race. Let’s say they finished in a tie.
The bigger guy could likely be in decent condition, but he’s carrying a lot of weight over the course of the 13.1 miles. It’s hard on his knees, ankles, heart, lungs, etc. He has to use a lot more energy to get the same result. Also, his recovery time is going to take longer, most likely.
The leaner guy may be in decent condition as well, but knowing what little we know about these two runners, he probably had an easier time physically to finish the race, and his body will likely bounce back more quickly. And, most importantly in my opinion, the lean runner will be ready to keep on running and have energy to do other things.
I’m not saying the heavier guy cannot run (heck, I’m living proof of that), but being leaner makes growing your business easier.
We all think our state and federal governments need to trim the fat. They have so much fat and bloat that they operate slowly, inefficiently, and waste a TON of money. Agreed?
But, we tend to be blind to our own businesses and the money we waste that keeps us from operating efficiently, with flexibility, and able to move forward.
It’s time to Trim the FAT!
So How Do You Trim The Fat In a Home Business?
Here is what I do:
- The easiest way to trim the fat is to logon to your bank account and/or your credit card accounts.
- Write down EVERYTHING that you spend money on that is related to your business… everything!
- List everything in order of priority (I know, I know… everything is a priority)
Start asking yourself questions. Questions like:
- How often do I use this?
- When was the last time I used this?
- Am I duplicating any of my efforts?
- Is this expense helping to grow my business or grow me?
Basically you are looking through your expenses to see if there is anything to trim, to cut the fat out of your budget so that you can run a more lean, efficient business.
Here Is Why
So why should you really spend the time to do this?
Of course you can save money, but that is not the main reason.
The main reason to trim the fat from your MLM business is because fat is a HUGE time suck. We waste so much time in a given day, a given week, or a given month. That is time taken from you growing your business and enjoying the freedom that we all like to talk so much about.
This is something I do every year, sometimes twice a year. I evaluate the money I spend and the things that suck my time away. I cut what I can, manage what needs it, and utilize what I must.
My big why in doing all this is I want to keep the most money or re-route money being spent to grow my business and most importantly, so I can enjoy the money I am making to spend time with my family, traveling, and doing the things I want to do.
So… there ya go.
- I would engage in email marketing
- I would pound the phones
- I would engage in direct marketing
- I would trim the fat in my business
Doing this, I cannot imagine not being exponentially more successful in 2019 and beyond my regularly doing these four things.
Ready Set Leads